Here are some of the many benefits that can come with earning a LEAD Professional Certificate:
- Enhanced leadership skills – Police work can be dynamic and high-pressure. Leadership skills like attention to detail, resourcefulness, decision-making, and critical thinking are essential. In the LEAD course of study at Walden University, students practice these skills while learning about emotional intelligence, interviewing techniques, and law enforcement management.
- Community engagement tools – Effective law enforcement requires trusting relationships with community members. Walden’s LEAD course of study examines the importance of collaboration and partnerships between law enforcement agencies and the communities they serve. It also shows students how to use community engagement practices to reduce crime, improve overall community relations, and develop a community-based law enforcement plan.
- Networking opportunities – At Walden, faculty members with extensive law enforcement experience support LEAD courses. That means students have ample opportunities to network with industry leaders and tap into their career knowledge, both in and out of the classroom.
- A greater understanding of law enforcement challenges – Recent events have significantly changed how the legal system interprets the U.S. Constitution and law enforcement policies. The LEAD Professional Certificate curriculum at Walden explores ethics, how social and historical changes have shifted perspectives, and challenges cities face with contemporary criminal justice policies.
- Deeper relationships with cohort members – While self-paced learning is beneficial, academic residencies bring students together to enhance skill development and professional practice. At Walden, online LEAD Professional Certificate students participate in a four-day virtual residency with their peers to further analyze critical current issues in policing, engage in hands-on learning, and network.
- A pathway to future degrees – After earning your certificate, you can apply your studies toward the Tempo Learning® format of Walden University’s MS in Criminal Justice or BS in Criminal Justice program.1
Continue Your Lifelong Learning Journey With Online Courses at Walden
At Walden—an accredited university—you can boost your professional development and sharpen your law enforcement skills in an accessible online environment.
The LEAD Professional Certificate 14-week course of study in Walden’s School of Lifelong Learning is designed to empower law enforcement officers with advanced skills in strategic leadership, conflict resolution, and management. And there’s no need to rearrange your schedule or commute to campus. Except for the four-day virtual residency, you can take your online classes at whatever time of day works best for you.
For more than 50 years, Walden has helped working professionals achieve their academic goals and realize their career ambitions. Customize your path to lifelong learning and find the secret to your success.
Walden University is an accredited institution offering online courses for credit, professional development courses, and tailored employer training programs through its School of Lifelong Learning. Degree seekers may wish to explore Walden’s suite of online degree programs, offered at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level. Learn new skills in a convenient, flexible format that fits your busy life.
1In the event that an individual chooses to matriculate into Walden University’s Tempo Learning® MS in Criminal Justice or BS in Criminal Justice degree program, Walden University will review any prior learning completed by the student, including the Professional Certificate, and the university may apply competency credit equivalency toward the program.
Walden Professional Certificates are not designed to be licensure-leading, and courses may not count toward state or local educational requirements for continuing education, certification, employment, licensure, or other credential or authority to practice.
Individuals enrolled in learning opportunities to obtain a Walden Professional Certificate will be enrolled as non-matriculating Walden School of Lifelong Learning students. Walden School of Lifelong Learning students may not be granted full access to all university services and resources.
Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, www.hlcommission.org.